IMPERIAL EARL GREY PEAR LOAF
This loaf makes a delicious afternoon tea or finish to a weekend lunch. Best enjoyed with a pot of S+I Imperial Earl Grey Tea!
300ml hot strong brew of S+I Imperial Earl Grey Tea
270g organic white spelt flour
100g organic wholemeal spelt flour
2 Tbsp S+I Imperial Earl Grey Tea
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp salt
3 large pears, cored and diced
4 pears (whole)
200g fair trade cane sugar
150ml melted coconut oil
*2 organic eggs
**2 egg whites
(*Vegan options below)
How to Make
1. Prepare your loaf tin(s) by lining them with unbleached baking paper. I used a large loaf tin but you could make two smaller ones, these loaves freeze well if wrapped properly.
2. Preheat your oven to 160°C.
3. Place the sultanas and tea in a pot, simmer until nearly all of the liquid has dissipated.
4. Place the flours, tea, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and ginger into the bowl of your food processor, pulse until the combined and the tea is evenly distributed throughout the flour mixture.
5. Place the sugar, oil and whole eggs in to the bowl of your stand mixer, mix on medium speed until it has doubled in size, about 6-7 minutes.
6. In a separate bowl whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form.
7. Add the cooled sultanas and the diced pears to the egg mixture mixture, followed by the flour, gently fold together, finally add the egg whites, gently fold.
8. Pour the mixture into your tin, do not fill, place your pears in the centre of the tins.
9. Bake for 40 minutes, test by inserting a skewer into the loaf, if it comes out clean the loaf is cooked.
10. Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes.
11. Serve with a fresh pot of Imperial Earl Grey Tea.
*Substitute for 2 flax eggs
1 egg = 7 g flaxmeal added to 40ml water, stir and let sit for 5 minutes
**Substitute egg whites for aquafaba (the liquid from can of chick peas). Simply pour the liquid into the stand of your kitchen mixer 3-6 minutes, whip until thick and glossy.