COCONUT CHAI BUNDT CAKE WITH PALEO CARAMEL SAUCE
Coconut Chai Bundt recipe is a modern twist on a traditional afternoon tea spice cake. Deliciously moist and topped with paleo caramel sauce.
1 c milk (I used toasted coconut milk, but almond or soy is fine.)
2 Tbsp. Storm and India Coconut Chai tea.
½ c unsulphured dark molasses or maple
1 c brown sugar
1/2 c coconut sugar
2 organic eggs
2 c organic spelt flour
½ c buckwheat flour
½ tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp fresh grated nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla
1 can of full fat coconut milk (390g)
½ c coconut sugar
1 Tbsp coconut sugar
½ tsp salt
1. Preheat your oven to 180C and grease a Bundt tin with oil (this cake can also be baked in a regular tin).
2. In one bowl sift the flours, spices, salt and baking soda, set aside.
3. In another place the two measurements of sugar, set aside.
4. Place the milk and tea into a saucepan and gently heat until near simmering.
5. Remove from the heat and allow the tea to steep for ten minutes.
6. Strain the milk into the bowl with the sugar and stir to combine.
7. Place the butter and molasses into the milk pot and heat gently until butter has melted.
8. Pour the milk into the milk sugar mix, stir to combine.
9. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl.
10. Pour the wet mixtures into the dry, stir to combine and pour into you greased bundt tin.
11. Bake for 50-60 minutes.
1. Combine the coconut milk and sugar in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Add the seeds from the vanilla pod and salt.
3. Stir to combine, then bring the mixture to the boil, stirring frequently. Continue to simmer while stirring until the sauce has a thick syrup texture. This can take 20 minutes or so.
4. Remove from the heat and add the oil, stir. Allow the caramel to cool before pouring over the Bundt cake.